Ernest is a guide for those who appreciate true craftsmanship and the care that goes into making, who are fascinated by curious histories and eccentric traditions and who care more for timeless style than trends. It is a periodical of substance created for folk who love to build fires, embark on road trips, camp under a canopy of stars and run full pelt into the sea.
Ernest appeals to those of us who appreciate a craft gin cocktail as much as a hearty one-pot supper, who love the grain of wood and the smell of paper, who’d like to learn how fly fish, brew beer in their shed and name all the constellations of the northern hemisphere. It is for people who like to whittle.
Ernest is brought to you by a passionate troupe of writers, editors and designers who love tactile design, show-stopping photography and slow journalism.
- Listen to mysterious transmissions on short wave radio
- Delve into the darker side of tintype photography
- Investigate an anomaly in the North Sea, a micro-nation owned by a tenacious band of radio buccaneers
- Enter the bizarre and wonderful world of sound design
- Unravel the psychology of Antarctic exploration
- Discover the secrets of Schiehallion, the Scottish mountain that helped us weigh the world
- Explore the evolution of travel writing from the 'unsentimental journey', through Victorian authors and the Beats to situationism and psychogeography
- Forage for the raw ingredients to blow your own glass
- Meet an automaton inventor
- Seek out ancient Norse settlements, sail among icebergs and delve into Inuit folklore in Greenland
- Wear woollens inspired by the Heroic Age of Polar Exploration
- Venture into the marshes of northern Norway in search of elusive cloudberries
- Master the art of wild meat butchery